Kumsheen is looking for Whitewater River Raft Guides to join our team of energetic, adventurous, and friendly staff. This is a great opportunity to work & live in one of the most beautiful areas in BC, at an incredible family-run adventure resort.
About the position:
Full-time River Guides at Kumsheen work seasonally from April until October. Most days are spent on the Thompson River guiding full or half-day trips on oar rafts or motorized power rafts through the best large volume whitewater in BC. When not needed on the river, Kumsheen Guides work at the Resort doing a variety of maintenance jobs to ensure full-time hours.
The season for this position is from April 29th, 2024 – September 2nd, 2024 with the potential to extend at the start and/or end of the season.
Responsibilities & Qualifications
Key responsibilities include:
- Training and providing demonstrations to guests for rafting techniques and safety protocols both on and off the river
- Guide rafts of up to 20 guests on the Thompson, Fraser, and/or Nicola Rivers to Kumsheen standards
- Provide an outstanding level of service to guests and coworkers on and off the river
- Participate and contribute to daily meetings and post-trip debriefs
- Prepare, clean, and maintain rafting equipment and guest gear before, during, and after rafting trips
- Contribute to positive and supportive team environment
- Rig and de-rig rafts in a safe and timely manner
Raft Guides work under the direction of the River Manager and General Managers. Our staff return year after year because the lifestyle and culture here can’t be beat!
Successful applicants will possess the following:
- 16-hr First Aid, CPR, and SRT certification required (we host these paid courses in June for our guides)
- Must have Oar Rafting Guide license (BCROA or equivalent), OR must successfully complete our Raft Guide School and ongoing training
- Previous commercial guiding experience (1+ seasons) preferred (applicants with 50+ commercial river trips may be considered for a Senior Guide position)
- Previous trip leading experience an asset
- Large volume class 3+ guiding experience an asset
- Desire and ability to do 2+ summer seasons with Kumsheen
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- Punctual and reliable
We thank all applicants for their interest but are only able to consider candidates with valid authorization to work full-time in Canada
Our criteria for selecting guides are based as much on personality, amiability, and people skills as on whitewater skills and experience. We are always looking for honest, affable guides to work with us. We want the best.
Interested in becoming a guide but have little or no experience? Our Raft Guide School is the perfect way to learn about guiding and earn your certificate of competency. Learn more or sign up here: https://kumsheen.com/guide-school/
Starting at $21.50/hr, plus great perks!
Employment perks include:
- Access to outdoor recreation in one of the most beautiful regions in BC (including some of the best whitewater in western Canada!)
- Steady 5-day on/2-day off work schedule
- Paid fam trips, motorized raft training & exams, and overtime
- Access to subsidized resort-based staff accommodation
- Access to the Kumsheen Resort facilities (including pool and hot tub!)
- Professional workplace and equipment
- Opportunity to grow your career in the outdoor industry
- Restaurant and retail discounts, family/friend rafting passes, family accommodation discounts, and more!
Job Application Process
We pride ourselves on our talented and enthusiastic team members. If you think you’d be a great addition to our team, we’d be delighted to hear from you! Please submit your resume to email@example.com.